Whether it’s a new focus, a new venture or a new year… consciously recognising the process required to change can vastly improve your outcome.
The Five A's of Change breaks it down simply:
1. Awareness: First we must be aware of what needs to change. Perhaps we want to work smarter, not harder, so we can have more family time and better financial returns.
2. Acceptance: We have to accept that in order to work smarter we will need to do things differently. There is no magic bullet; effective planning is critical to achieving change.
3. Action: Once we have a plan; we must actually implement it. Taking action can be simpler than imagined; one step at a time, the momentum for change will grow. But, if we don’t act; planning is pointless.
4. Accountability: Having someone independent to hold us to account is typically a foolproof way to ensure we act. A bit like going to the gym before work… we’re more likely to show up if we’ve committed to a friend or paid for a personal trainer.
5. Acknowledgement: Humans are habitual creatures. It takes 21 times to change a habit. By celebrating the success of taking action and forcing change, we help to reinforce that good behaviour. The reaction is a chemical one.
This powerful model is simple and effective. Consider the things in your business that you'd like to change and what stage in this process you’re at. What's your next step? Whatever your current situation, empower yourself and make a commitment to real change.
‘The secret of change is to focus all of your energy not on fighting the old, but on building the new.’ - Socrates
Need help making change stick? Check out how we can help you with planning and accountability
Or call us on 03 474 0475 and request a complimentary client review..