Go wild in Dunedin 22-28 April
Yes we really are the Wildlife Capital of New Zealand. After being forced online in April 2020, the 5th Wild Dunedin Festival will be on in the April school holidays celebrating the wild side of Dunedin. We have a fantastic line up of events, outings, price reductions at local wildlife and tourism attractions, opportunities to visit private properties, all kinds of activities for children, and this year our special guest is Suzy Cato.
Our focus for many events is on rewilding – restoring natural habitats and reconnecting with nature. Earth Day on 22 April will be a fantastic opportunity to visit Orokonui Ecosanctuary for a greatly reduced entry fee. On Anzac Day there’s a whole afternoon of activities for adults and children in the Upper Botanic Garden, and those without access to a car can catch free Wild Buses to some events.
Some of the highlights:
- Play plant detective at Larnach Castle
- Take a boat trip to explore Dunedin’s volcano or Quarantine Island
- See the Waste Free Wanda Show, an 80’s inspired environmental musical
- Visit rewilding properties and learn about the QEII Trust’s work with landowners
- Enjoy a wild food dinner
- Children can make kākā, moths, Wild Thing sticks, or go on a storytime boat cruise
- See yellow-eyed penguins up close
With so many varied activities for all ages at venues all over the city, we suggest that you become a Friend of Wild Dunedin at www.wilddunedin.nz to gain early access to the online programme and bookings. You can also follow us on social media.
Wild Dunedin Committee members know a lot about nature. But we depend on the accounting services and advice provided by our long term supporter PKF Dunedin. This year we welcome Taylar McNeilly to the team for the 2021 Wild Dunedin Festival.